Preston had 6 months of treatment done at Our Lady of the Lake Children’s Hospital but on May 13, 2010, they learned that the treatment did not work.  Preston’s doctors told his parents that his only hope would be a bone marrow transplant at St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, TN.

Preston's Story

           On Halloween 2009, Preston had come back from the doctor and was diagnosed with Bronchitis and prescribed Augmentin.  While Renee was dressing Preston she noticed small sores in his head and thought he maybe having an allergic reaction to his medicine so she gave him some Benadryl.   Preston seemed fine to go trick a treating for a little bit so Jacob and Renee took him but he didn’t last long.  The next morning they woke up to Preston’s entire arm being purple and he was covered in small pinpoint bruises.

        They rushed Preston to Our Lady of the Lake Children’s hospital in Baton Rouge, LA.  When they arrived the nurses rushed them to a room and said Preston either has cancer or a blood disorder.  After a week of testing and his first of many bone marrow biopsies, Preston was diagnosed with a very rare, life threating blood disorder called Severe Aplastic Anemia.  Severe Aplastic Anemia is a disease in which the bond marrow does not make enough red or white blood cells or platelets for the body.

         Jacob and Renee Heath were so excited to have a son.  Preston was a happy, healthy baby boy until one and a half years old.  Jacob and Renee noticed some bruising on Preston’s lower back and lots of bruising on his legs.  When they spoke to the pediatrician about it, they were told that the bruise were normal and not to worry.  Being first time parents, they listen to the doctor.  A couple months later, Preston started staying sick with not normal illnesses.

          Preston, Renee, and Renee’s mom moved to Memphis while Jacob worked at home and he would come up on weekends to visit.  After one donor backing out and 2 weeks of high dose chemotherapy, Preston received his life saving bone marrow transplant on September 29, 2009, the day after his third birthday.  Preston had a lot of struggles after transplant with many viruses, graft vs. host, fevers, and too many hospital stays to count, but after 7 months Preston was able to return to Louisiana cured of Severe Aplastic Anemia.  He still has annual visits to St. Jude and some side effects, but Preston is now a happy, healthy boy again!!